Poundo yam, is a cooked, dried and pulverized yam scientific name Dioscorea alata. It is a generally known staple and annual tuber-crop in West Africa.
White yam processing passes through pealing of the tubers, washing, cooking, drying and pulverizing to form yam flour, it made it lots easier to make pounded yam; generally, lots easier than the traditional way of making pounded yam and serves an awesome means of food preservation and still maintaining its wholesome nutritional value. Amazingly, this food tastes just like mashed potato!
Ingredients Needed for 8 servings
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups of yam flower for our poundo yam
- 2 litres of water
- Food wraps
- Small flat plate, preferably rubber plate, for packing and packing the poundo yam.
- Fill your pot with the water, use a pot that can take the water half way.
- Bring water to boil
- Reduce the power of the stove
- Now use your spatula to turn the consistently while adding the yam flour gradually. This where the work is, so try as much as possible to be consistent in the mixture until it formed a dough-like structure and smooth enough.
- Once all the above is done, mold the quantity that would serve to each individual partaking in the eating process, using your flat plastic plate to park each quantity to the food wraps and then wrap, you can also serve directly to plates.
How is Poundo yam eaten
- Can be eaten alone
- With pepper soup, melon, okra, stew and many different kinds of soup. It’s a generous food that blends with almost all kinds of vegetable soups. Try it, I believe you would enjoy it.
Health Benefit of Yam
I remembered when in our school days, a course mate of mine, will always tell how popular it is that a particular group of women are known for multiple births due to their consumption of white yam, he is not the only one with this view, so many people have mentioned it to my hearing, and in fact, multiple births are common with the people located in areas recorded to have mass production of yam crops.
Nutritional values consist;
- Highly rick in carbohydrate thus a good source of energy.
- Process a tremendous quantity of fibre which enhances digestion and bowel movement
- It has potential for potassium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, copper, calcium and iron
- contains betacarotene mainly known for antioxidant properties,
- It contains folate which is good for cell growth, DNA synthesis and red blood cell production.
- When consumed with vegetables, enhances the production and absorption of vitamin A, C, and B for maintaining good vision and boosting the immune system
- Most people believe the claim that yam has to enhance healthy cholesterol level and digestive health but researches are still ongoing to back up the claim.