STRATEGIES FOR TEXTBOOK READING AND VOCABULARY TECHNIQUES
Textbook reading, from a point of view, may seem so overwhelming, especially when it gets to do with reading a whole book containing 1500 pages within a limited period and then summarizing afterward. Some Strategies that can be applied for textbook reading are;
* Pacing: which involves segmenting or dividing the assignment into sections.
* Time-table: has to do with scheduling reading time for an active part of the day and not towards the end of the day.
* Reading environment: a quiet and distraction-free environment is required and important during textbook reading to assimilate better.
* It is worth taking note: that is, engaging in distractive activities such as making phone calls or watching movies while reading at the same time is not a good idea.
* Setting up break time, during reading is also important, it helps to refresh memory, remove tiredness and frustration and exercises the body.
* Consider visiting and working on the hardest part of the assignment at the beginning- the brain is still calm and the individual is eager to learn at the beginning stage.
* Enjoy the reading process.
Dealing with different subject-line
How to read different subjects including mathematics and foreign language texts.
– Mathematics: it is best to do all exercises and apply the formulas to real-world circumstances.
– Reading Graphics: Examples are charts, maps, diagrams, photos, illustrations including internet URLs, they are used for describing what an author is stressing.
– Reading Scientific text: requires reading and taking notes of hypotheses and experimental designs during the reading process to gain a better understanding of the concept and the scientific languages/definitions.
– Social science texts: has to do with interpretations most times and apply to economics, history and political science texts. Read and gain the ability to interpret all that was read.
– Foreign languages: Taking notes of idioms and distinctive words, time dedication and practicing the idioms and words are required to master a foreign language.
– Integrating Reading with Family life: For an individual with family, for example with children, one doesn’t have to wait until you have a whole lot of time, reading can be done at any availability of short time intervals.
– Online reading: Many materials are available online, but sort after reliable and related materials to make sure they are current and correct.
Examples of how to Build Vocabulary
No one is perfect, and we learn every day, building our vocabulary is an awesome way of enhancing and improving our writing, language and reading skills, it helps to communication in the most effective ways verbally. It helps to understand an idea or thought effectively.
1* Taking notes of one’s wrong vocabularies and correcting them.
2* Looking forward to new words everywhere and anytime,
3* Understanding the meaning of a word within the context to which it was used before doing a dictionary search.
4* using new words immediately and breaking the meaning down to one’s understanding after a dictionary search is also important.